Sophie Gibson and Jonathan Turner from Newcastle were named the UK’s best colour experts. The colourists from Hooker & Young won the coveted title of Schwarzkopf Professional Colour Technicianof the Year at HJ’s renowned British Hairdressing Awards 2019.
Sophie and Jonathan beat five other category finalists in the national awards, dubbed the ‘Oscars’ of the hair world, to claim the accolade of being the country’s leading and most inspiring hair colourist.
Now in their 34th year, HJ’s British Hairdressing Awards celebrate the people producing the very best hairdressing work across England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. Sophie and Jonathan’s prize was one of 18 trophy wins on the night in a line-up of ten regional and eight specialist awards, including two new categories of International Collection of the Year and Trend Image of the Year.
Specialist Category Winners 2019
- British Hairdresser of the Year: Robert Eaton, Russell Eaton, Leeds
- Afro Hairdresser of the Year: Rick Roberts, Rick Roberts, Beverley (East Yorkshire)
- Artistic Team of the Year: Mark Leeson Artistic Team, Mansfield
- Avant Garde Hairdresser of the Year: Hayley Bishop & Sophie Springett, TONI&GUY North Audley Street, London
- Men’s Hairdresser of the Year: Jim Shaw & Daisy Carter, Essensuals, Billericay
- Newcomer of the Year: Alex Morton, Jamie Stevens, London
- Schwarzkopf Professional British Colour Technician of the Year: Sophie Gibson & Jonathan Turner, Hooker & Young, Newcastle
- Trend Image of the Year: Federico Patelli, TONI&GUY Victoria, London
Regional Winners 2019
- Eastern Hairdresser of the Year: Nathan Jasztal & Zoe Jasztal, Silhouette Du Barry, Chelmsford
- London Hairdresser of the Year: Andy Heasman, RUSH Victoria, London
- Midlands Hairdresser of the Year: James Earnshaw, Bad Apple Hair, Wolverhampton
- North Eastern Hairdresser of the Year: Alexander Turnbull, Alexander Hair & Beauty, Hull
- North Western Hairdresser of the Year: Jon Wilsdon, TONI&GUY Deansgate, Manchester
- Northern Ireland Hairdresser of the Year: Sharon Malcolm, Sharon Malcolm Hairdressing, Co. Down
- Scottish Hairdresser of the Year: Jason Hall, Jason Hall Hairdressing, Edinburgh
- Southern Hairdresser of the Year: Andrew Smith, Andrew Smith Salons, Portsmouth
- Wales & South West Hairdresser of the Year: Martin Crean, MODE, Chipping Camden, Gloucestershire
International Collection of the Year: Jacky Chan, Oscar Oscar Chadstone, Melbourne, Australia